Are you relocating to another city? Well, you should know that long distance relocation is always tough and overwhelming. However, with these useful tips, you can make it effortless. Here’s how you can make your long distance relocation successful.
1. Planning Ahead: Keep in mind that making a long distance move is a significant life event, so you need it to go smoothly. The only way to do that would be planning correctly. Contact the local moving companies in your areas months before the moving day to find out whether they can handle long distance relocation. By planning everything, you can avoid the last minute rush.
2. Start Searching For Moving Companies: You need to do a lot of research about moving companies before you pack everything. You can get best moving companies online at MyLongDistanceMovers.com website or ask for referrals to moving companies from people who recently moved. Of course, you need to do some thorough vetting before choosing a specific company for your long distance move. Write down a list of potential movers and go through the list vetting each one to find the best one for your long-distance moving.
3. Ask For Moving Estimates: Here, you can ask a representative from the moving company to visit your home and do a survey of all the items you are bringing with you. That way, you can get an accurate estimate of everything. Don’t get surveys over the phone since they might mark up the price or bring up hidden costs when you reach your destination.
4. Moving Team: It’s a good idea to hire a moving company with a team of experts. For instance, if you have a large house, it would be a good idea to have many movers packing things from your old home and unpacking everything in the new place. Therefore, when asking for moving estimates, find out how many movers the company has on their team to make it effortless. That way, you can reduce the turnaround time considerably and settle in your new place soon enough.
5. Try Downsizing Your Possessions: Keep in mind that the overall cost of your relocation will be determined by the weight of the things you are bringing along with you. If you have too many possessions to move, you will end up paying more. Therefore, you should take time to go through your belongings to find out what you need to get rid of and what you need to bring with you. For the items you don’t need, you can have a garage sale or donate them.
6. Consider The Size Of Your New Place: Depending on whether you are downgrading or upgrading in size, your possessions in the old home might fit or not. Therefore, you need to consider the size of the new place and whether your current furniture or belongings will fit in perfectly. If you are hiring a mover to help you relocate and arrange everything in the new place, they need to know where to place everything. That’s why you need to have an idea of what to do beforehand.
7. Label Your Moving Boxes Properly: If you are packing everything from your house, you need to label your boxes correctly. Write a list of everything packed in every box on the outside or you can write the room where every box should be placed once you reach the destination. That way, your movers will have an easy time knowing what box goes where in the new place. Even better, you can save a lot of time when unpacking in the new home.
8. Know Your Rights When Moving Long-Distance: There are regulations in place when moving long distance. You can find all the information you need to know online. That way, you can understand the responsibilities of the moving company as well as yours. For instance, the movers are required to compensate you for any items lost or damaged during transit. Therefore, you should know your rights to make sure the long distance relocation goes off without a hitch.
9. Try An Off-season Move: Movers will charge you higher if you move during the peak season, especially around the summer season. Therefore, if you can wait until the offseason, you can pay less for moving long distance. You can try moving during winter, fall or spring for the most affordable prices. However, if you must move during the peak season, you should rely on movers who are affordable but can guarantee high-quality services.
In conclusion, long-distance moves don’t have to be hectic, especially if you have the best moving company with you. Do your due diligence to make sure you are working with the best and take time to plan everything before the big move to avoid forgetting anything.